Sleep – Are You Getting Enough?
Do you get less than 7 hours sleep? Do you think it doesn’t matter because you are full of energy? I’m afraid to say that you aren’t actually full of energy, but in a constant state of high stress and running on empty.
Recent research has shown that on average, adults needs between 7-9 hours of sleep a night (with your phone off!) to rest, recharge, carry out all the night time processes and re-fill the energy battery for the next day.
Not only does a lack of sleep impact negatively on every single function the body has to do, it also encourages a poor diet full of trans-fats and refined sugar to get in the easy to extract calories for energy. It might not be noticeable now, but every day there is a build-up which can result in the diagnosis of diabetes, cancer, heart conditions and autoimmune disease.
But all is not bad – there are simple ways to help you get the sleep you need if you fall below 7 hours mainly because you don’t feel tired/can’t get to sleep.
Below are some Naturopathic tips to help get a better night’s sleep. If you want more help/advice get in touch so we can get a sleep consultation booked in.
- Try not to have caffeine/refined sugar (chocolate, sweets, biscuits etc) after 3pm. Replace snacks with plain unsalted nuts/seeds/a little bit of dried fruit or coconut (that doesn’t have added sugar); or a nakd bar, protein ball or similar.
- Try and eat supper no later than 8pm so your body has time to get its energy boost from the food and then get sleepy in time for you to go to bed.
- Try a herbal tea after supper such as lime blossom or the Pukka ‘Night Time’ tea.
- Keep off your phone/tablet/laptop for 2 hours before you go to bed, and don’t look at it in bed!
- Get into bed by 11pm, and read a paper book, not on a kindle/phone etc. Ideally, you want to be asleep before midnight.
- Have a bath before bed – not too hot as that stresses the body out. You can also add Epsom Bath salts to it which are soothing and relaxing due to their mineral content.
- Put a couple of drops of organic lavender essential oil on a tissue and put it under your pillow.